Saturday, July 11, 2009

cool rainy days of july



Ha ha! I never thought I'd say that in the same sentence in our area!

It's true - we've had a wet and cool July thus far. Even our fireworks party on the 4th was a complete wash-out. We have some very (very) dear friends who braved the torrent to hang out with us anyway, making it not nearly as disappointing as it could have been.

The past week, I've had 3 big projects on high priority. Our new DECK was the biggest, but we got it mostly completed by last weekend. It is wonderful and makes all the difference in the world out here. I remember my good friend Lara asking me not too long ago if I had even one place in the whole house where I could go and enjoy myself rather that seeing more to-do's for my endless lists. I honestly had to answer, "No." Well, the deck is it. I can gaze out at all we have accomplished rather than what still needs to be done. The deck is the one spot I find very manageable to keep clean. Plus, the outside air does the soul good. Simple as that.

I've also been focused on tending the garden. We're starting to be able to harvest, which is great. It also adds some more work to the game. :-) We have some yellow squash, some peppers and some cukes already hitting the table. We also have many unripe veggies fruiting, like tomatoes, watermelons, and beans. We have some VERY hot jalapenos already drowning us, so if you like hot hot hot peppers, please let me know!

Then there's this raised flower bed I've been working on for what feels like forever that still needs attention. I keep getting to it a little at a time. I was able to finally plant the flowers last night. This was so exciting for me since I could mark it off that mental to-do list already! It still has some filling in to do, but at least my poor poor flowers that have been sitting nearly root-bound in their pots for 3 weeks now are able to stretch and breathe in the damp fresh soil. "Ahhh...." you could almost hear them sigh. (Not really, but I sure did.)

And then there's Sassy. We're settling down, me and Sassy. I'm realizing that she's still a little bitty in so many ways and she still needs more of me than I've been giving her. And my little Magpie is growing up way too fast! She's 6 months today. Today! ---Zoom--- went those six months, right out the window amidst mountains of to-do lists that seem to reproduce while I'm sleeping.

A needy Sassy and a big baby made me stop. Finally. And take a break. Finally. I've limited myself to one hour-ish long project per day on my lists. After that, I can do more if I want to, or I can sit back on my new deck and simply enjoy my life and my children. I'm running about 50/50 right now on whether I choose to tackle something else beyond that one big project. Again, I have Lara to thank for this one. I called her complaining that I'd gotten nearly nothing done on my list of 15 items.

"I've been up for 5 hours and I've only crossed off 4 items," I cried.

"Did you feed the kids?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Laundry?"

"Yes."

"Dishes?"

"Yes."

"You've accomplished more than you think. Your list is just too long!" she told me.

Smart lady, that Lara is.

Jeff and I broke down and bought Blackberry handhelds so that we could have a little internet at home. A LITTLE, as in just enough to keep in touch but not enough to tempt us into spending all day avoiding work and cruising craigslist or mothering.com instead. I have many pictures on my Blackberry that I'd love to add to this entry, but I don't know how! I will try to figure it out today, I promise, so I can put some visuals with the words. Though I might try to write well and respect the value of writing, nothing can compare to a chubby little cheeky baby on her 6-month birthday.

I love you all and I'm sorry if I've been a little busy this week to do my usual facebook and email responses. I've been focused on this deck and probably will be next week too. But I think of you all often and can't wait to see you in person. For my group friends, that will be this Friday. Much love!

At Kathryn's House:



Second dental cleaning ever (afterward, she said, "That was actually kind of fun.):



Our rainy Fourth of July party:



Happy Half-Birthday Magpie!

No comments: