Thursday, April 15, 2010

how we love Spring



Just a few pictures this time. We are super busy around here, what with the sun shining every day. Really! Every day! It's the best Spring tonic ever, but it doesn't have any interest in sharing me with the computer.

So I thought I'd update with a few pictures of all the outside stuff we've been doing that has kept me away.

Jeff built me a small greenhouse out of old windows. Yay! My new seedlings hit the greenhouse after just a few days under the green lights, and they appear very happy. The greenhouse faces due south, so you never know...we might just have winter-long veggies this year. Next to the greenhouse, you'll see our cedar cuttings set up for staking our peas. And on the side, you'll see the two half barrels of roots - one all orange carrots, the other half purple carrots, half beets.



Here is a view of our strawberry patch in the foreground (where we planted 70 strawberry plants this year) with our cut garden space in the back. All that cut space will become planted gardens for our CSA work with Allways Farm Collective within the next couple weeks. There's about twice as much more on the side of the house. It's so amazing to see it cut, since it's finally starting to take on its future form. We can totally imagine it all planted with vegetables and melons now.



Here is a close-up of the empty side of the strawberry patch, where I took advantage of the soil improvements we made to plant a small hill of potatoes.



This is what makes all the work out here worth it....growing organic children with organic food! Sydney and Mazzy are such good friends already, which is amazing with their age difference. Syd has wanted a little sister so badly, for so long! Here, she tries to teach Mazzy ballet.



The two of them played "ballet teacher" for a good 15 minutes while I admired yet again, more sky.



And this is how we roll these days when Mama gets to do work. I drive the John Deere while the girls ride along behind me. I just can't physically do what I could do 3 months ago. But the countdown is nearing. I have about 9 weeks left now until we should be welcoming our third little bitty into our life.

No comments: